3 Tips To Improve Your Marriage
A 3 Part Series
Welcome to a new year and a new you. We all get excited when we see the possibility of a “newness” in our lives. Our marriage is no exception. Most people make New Year’s resolutions around weight loss, getting in shape, getting out of debt, making more money, quitting smoking, and 100 other things we’d like to change in our lives.
What about your marriage? Have you ever had New Year’s resolutions for improving your marriage?
Our marriage requires, love, compassion, connection, sharing, communication, self sacrifice, help, and support just to name a few qualities to sustain a healthy marriage.
How about this year adding “improving my marriage” to the list of New Year’s resolutions.
Just how important is our marriage health to our overall well being? What can a strong, positive marriage do for each of us personally, in addition to our marriage? What are the sustainable benefits of a better marriage?
Research suggests that problems in marriage account for many problems in our personal lives
- lack of accomplishment
- anger, frustration
- wasted time and energy
- health issues
- lack of productivity
I encourage you in this new year to step back and observe your marriage as if peering through a window into some one else’s home. What do you see? What’s positive and strengthening? What’s draining and debilitating? Do you like what you see? Do you dislike what you see?
Here is the first of 3 tips to improve your marriage this year
- Prioritize Each Other This sounds so simple but how many of us really place our spouse’s needs and wants as a priority.
A women responds when her need for love is being fulfilled. Love from her husband comes in many forms. A couple of ways a husband can show love is to be attentive to our needs and sacrificially care for us. If only men could understand how much a woman wants to be cherished and know that our husband cares for us and our needs, no matter what.
10 Important Ways A Husband Can Show Love To His Wife:
- Communicate with her by asking questions and her opinion.
- Connect with her by giving her your undivided attention.
- Listen to her wants and needs.
- Lighten her load by helping her with chores or problems.
- Compliment her on her strengths.
- Make time to talk about future plans and goals with her.
- Validate her feelings.
- Show appreciation for all she does.
- Do something special for her at least once a week.
- Prioritize time to spend talking to her.
Men need to be respected. This doesn’t mean wives need to be a doormat. One of the most important things us wives can do for our husband is to be positive and supporting. A critical wife’s disapproval can destroy a man. Emphasize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.
10 Important Ways A Wife Can Show Respect To Her husband:
- Tell him what he does right.
- Emphasize his strengths.
- Give him your undivided attention when he talks.
- Don’t interrupt him when he’s talking.
- Don’t criticize and nag.
- Tell him you’re proud of him.
- Compliment him often.
- Don’t dismiss his opinions.
- Be thankful. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude.
- Help him to understand you and your needs.
A valuable tool to learn about your spouse and their needs is to find out each other’s primary and secondary love language. We all have individual love languages and discovering these is like discovering gold. It helps all of us understand our spouse better.
(Click here to discover all about Love Languages)
Putting your spouse and your marriage first really is easy. Find small ways to make your spouse feel cherished. It’s quite simple if you put some thought into it. Honestly, it’s all about your focus. Where are your priorities? Does your spouse know he/she is your priority? Do you feel like you are your spouse’s priority? Ask yourself these questions then ask your spouse these questions.
Remember, this is all about improving your marriage. Stay positive, be helpful, kind, loving and supportive.
I’d love to hear from you. Comment below and tell me some of the ways you show your spouse he/she is your priority.